Haven’t ridden a motorized scooter like our Honda Ruckus before? At Hoover Dam Scooter Tours, we believe that scooters and mopeds are one of the best ways to get around and explore the local areas of Las Vegas! When riding on one of our scooters, you are able to fully experience the sights of Downtown Boulder City, Lake Mead, the Hoover Dam, and more. However, safety and ensuring you are comfortable on a scooter is always our top priority. If you are a scooter or moped beginner, keep on reading!
Scooter Beginners Tips
- Always wear a helmet! No ifs, and or buts, a sturdy helmet could save your life in the event of a crash.
- Start slow! Our Honda Ruckus scooters can go a decent speed, so when you’re first learning start out slow until you are more comfortable on the scooter.
- If you ever lose control of your bike when moving slowly, just let the bike fall and jump off. Your safety is more important than the scooter!
- Don’t touch the exhaust pipe. After riding around a bit, the exhaust pipe of a scooter can get extremely hot, so never touch it or else you can end up with a painful burn.
- Always remember to wear proper clothing! If weather permits, wear long sleeves and pants. Always wear closed-toe, grippy shoes.
Learning How To Ride A Scooter/Moped
- Hop on and ensure that both feet are touching the ground.
- Kick up the kick-stand
- Set key to “ON” position
- To ignite, hold both brake levers and press the starter button. Release the breaks and then give it a little gas by turning the gas handle slowly. Soon your bike will begin moving, once you feel the momentum, pick your feet up and place them on the foot platform.
- To turn, simply turn your scooter like you would a normal bicycle. When going slowly, you use your hands to steer the turn a little more. When you’re going at a faster speed, turning will be easier when you lean your body towards whichever way you’re turning.
- When it comes to braking, it helps to rest a few fingers on both brake levers at all times. When coming to a stop, release the gas to decelerate and slowly add pressure to the brake levers.
- Now that you’ve got the scooter riding basics, try it out in a clear area until you’re confident to hit the roads with Hoover Dam Scooter Tours!
If the idea of riding a scooter for the first time makes you a little nervous, we promise you that you will be ok! Our tour guides are some of the best in the area, and they will ensure that you’re comfortable with operating your Honda Ruckus with a free lesson before the tour!